Penn State vs. Michigan Series History
- Penn State is 6-10 all-time against Michigan.
- Penn State and Michigan have not squared off since October of 2010. Penn State won that game 41-31 in Beaver Stadium. The victory came in former quarterback Matt McGloin’s first career start. He threw for 250 yards and one touchdown.
- In the last meeting, Penn State senior running back, Evan Royster, broke the school’s career rushing record, which was held by Curt Warner for almost three decades.
- The first time these two teams met was in 1993. The No. 17 ranked Wolverines upset the No. 7 ranked Nittany Lions in Beaver Stadium by a score of 21-13.
- Each of the 16 times Penn State has played Michigan, at least one of the teams has been ranked in the Top 25 in country (it will be the 17th time this Saturday). Eight of those times, both the Nittany Lions and Wolverines were ranked.
- They have met as top five teams twice. In 1994, No. 3 Penn State defeated No. 5 Michigan 31-24, and in 1997, No. 4 Michigan took down No. 3 Penn State 34-8.
- The most the Nittany Lions have been favored by is 20 points in 2008. Penn State would go on to win that game, 46-17.
- The most the Wolverines have been favored by is 18 points, which happened in 2000 and 2001. Michigan would go on to win both contests, 33-11 and 20-0 respectively.
- The longest win streak in the series goes to Michigan with nine straight wins over Penn State from 1997 to 2007 (teams did not play each other in 2003 and 2004).
- The most points the Nittany Lions have scored in this series is 41 in 2010.
- The most points the Wolverines have scored in this series is 34 in 1997.
- The least points Penn State has allowed in this series is 10 in 2009.
- The least points Michigan has allowed in this series is zero. Michigan has shut out Penn State twice, once in 1998, and again in 2001.
- This will be the first time coaches Bill O’Brien and Brady Hoke will face off against one another in this series.
Andy Madore is a sophomore majoring in broadcast journalism. To contact him, email email@example.com.